Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Accept and Support

I don't remember ever not being able to read.  Just as I don't ever remember not being able to swim. Because of that, I have a hard time coming to grips with my daughter's struggle in the reading/language department.

This mornig I had a meeting with the Speech and Language Pathologist at K's school.  They've been doing observations of her speech and language in the classroom, with my permission, and she has some things we need to work on.  My K is a beautiful, funny, smart girl, but has some challenges with sequencing (important for a) relate the day's events, for example, and b) following a series of instructions.  She also has some sound errors and "immature" syntax.   These may not be the correct technical terms, but I'm not an SLP either.  These challenges are affecting her progress in first grade and also her social development.  It breaks my heart.

I love my daughter with all my heart and soul.  That she is not perfect is a bit of a blow... but it does not diminish her one little bit... she's a great kid and I'm going to do everything I can to help her thrive and succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment